Electronic health records have, in recent years, become increasingly important for the evaluating the quality of clinical care, the integration of clinical information and improvements in efficiency and cost effectiveness. In parallel with this, clinical registries have become established as tools for auditing clinical standards, and designing and benchmarking quality improvement initiatives. As a result, there has been a growth in the number, size and quality of clinical registries, particularly in the field of cardiology. This development, coupled with an appreciation of the relevance of real “world data”, has resulted in a greater use of clinical registries for observational research.
Administrative databases play a central role in the evaluation of health-care systems, due to their widespread diffusion and low cost of information. There is increasing agreement among clinical epidemiologists on the validity of disease and intervention registries based on administrative databases. A key issue is the selection criteria of the observation units: different criteria may result in different estimates of prevalence or incidence of diseases. The benefits of using these data for health system planning and evaluation are many: they are population based, often combine information from multiple centres, capture real health system use, are longitudinal and are relatively inexpensive to construct and use. In addition, individual health administrative records can be linked to other data (clinical registry, public health, socioeconomic etc.).
2013 – 2016 (ongoing)
Public Management Research: Health and Education Systems Assessment
FARB – Finanziamento di Ateneo per la Ricerca di Base
2009-2011 (Completed) – http://ima.metid,polimi.it
Exploitation, integration and study of current and future health databases in Lombardia for Acute Myocardial Infarction
MOMI2 – one Month Monitoring Miocardial Infarction in MIlan
- Ieva F., Secchi P., Vantini S. (2015)
[ITA] BIG DATA: la prossima sfida della Statistica, Lettera Matematica PRISTEM 93 (giugno), pp. 27-34.
[ENG] BIG DATA: the next challenge for statistics, Lettera Matematica. 3(3), 111-120.
- Mazzali, C., Maistriello, M., Ieva. F., BarbieriI, P. (2014) Methodological issues in the use of administrative databases to study heart failure. Advances in Complex Data Modeling and Computational Methods in Statistics (eds: A.M. Paganoni, P. Secchi), Springer. To appear
- Ieva, F. (2013). Designing and mining a multicenter observational clinical registry concerning patients with Acute Coronary Syndromes. New diagnostic, therapeutic and organizational strategies for patients with Acute Coronary Syndromes (eds:N. Grieco, A.M. Paganoni, M. Marzegalli). Springer-Verlag Italia, chap. 3, pp. 47-60 doi: 10.1007/987-88-470-5379-3_3 ISBN: 978-88-470-5378-6
29. Cassarini, G., Ieva, F. (2013). Statistical methods to study the representativeness of STEMI Archive. New diagnostic, therapeutic and organiza-tional strategies for patients with Acute Coronary Syndromes (eds:N. Grieco, A.M. Paganoni, M. Marzegalli). Springer-Verlag Italia, chap. 4, pp. 61-68 doi: 10.1007/987-88-470-5379-3_4 ISBN: 978-88-470-5378-6
- Ieva, F., Paganoni, A.M., Secchi P. (2013). Mining Administrative Health Databases for epidemiological purposes: a case study on Acute Myocardial Infarctions diagnoses. Advances in Theoretical and Applied Statistics (eds: F.Pesarin, N.Torelli) Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, chap. 38, pp. 417-426
- Barbieri, P., Grieco, N., Ieva, F., Paganoni, A.M., Secchi, P. (2010). Exploitation, integration and statistical analysis of Public Health Database and STEMI archive in Lombardia Region. Complex data modeling and computationally intensive statistical methods – Series “Contribution to Statistics” (eds: P. Mantovan, P. Secchi), Springer, pp: 41-56
- Ieva, F., Paganoni, A.M. (2009). Integrazione tra registri clinici database amministrativi: il progetto IMASTE della Regione Lombardia. SIS Magazine
- Grieco, N., Corrada, E., Sesana, G., Fontana, G., Lombardi, F, Ieva, F., Paganoni, A.M., Marzegalli, M. (2008). Le reti dell’emergenza in cardiologia : l’esperienza lombarda. Giornale Italiano di Cardiologia Supplemento “Crema Cardiologia 2008. Nuove Prospettive in Cardiologia”.
- Grieco, N., Corrada, Ieva, F., Lombardi, F., Marzegalli, M., Sesana, G., Paganoni, A.M. (2008). On site ECG transmission reduces door-to-balloon time in patients referred for primary PCI. European Heart Journal, 29 (Abstract Supplement): 655-656
- Grieco, N., Sesana, G., Corrada, E., Ieva, F., Paganoni, A.M., Marzegalli, M. (2007) The Milano Network for Acute Coronary Syndromes and Emergency Services. MESPE journal, First Special Issue
Dr. Lorenzo Vayno, MD Thesis in Mathematical Engineering (2011)
Text mining: riconoscimento di elementi diagnostici in lettere di dimissione ospefaliera
Dr. Stefano Ziller, Dr. Andrea Cremaschi, BD Thesis in Mathematical Engineering (2008)
Il problema del record linkage tra dataset: un approccio probabilistico
- Doing Research in Healthcare with Administrative Databases, Milan (IT), June 30th, 2014
- Making decisions: the role of statistics for knowledge and governance. Università Europea di Roma, Roma (Italy). April, 19-20, 2012
Talk: Modelli statistici per il supporto alle decisioni in ambito sanitario e cardiovascolare
- Il Programma Strategico Nazionale Sull’Infarto Miocardico Acuto: Esiti e Prospettive Operative. Sala Pirelli – Palazzo Pirelli, Milano (Italy). February 15, 2012
Talk: Analisi dati Archivio STEMI e confronti con la BDA
- IV CONVENTION DELLE UTIC LOMBARDE. Villa Cagnola, Gazzada (Varese), Italy. April 9, 2011
Talk: L’Archivio Regionale delle Sindromi Coronariche Acute: una risorsa epidemiologica e clinica
- RSS Conference 2010. Brighton (UK), September, 13-17, 2010
Poster: Statistical analysis for health-care decisions: a case study on a clinical survey concerning STEMI patients
- 6th Conference on Quantitative Modelling in the Management of Health Care. Institute of Mathematics and its Application (IMA), Mary Ward House, London (UK). March 29-31, 2010
Talk: STEMI Archive and Lombardia Region Public Health Database: a pilot example of statistical analysis on complex data arising from integrated databases
- S.Co.2009 – Complex Data Modeling and Computationally Intensive Statistical Methods for Estimation and Prediction. Politecnico di Milano, Milan (Italy), September 14-16, 2009
Talk (invited): Statistical Analysis of an integrated Database concerning patients with Acute Coronary Syndromes